The Adopt-a-Garden Program is a cooperative venture between Oakland County Parks and Recreation and its residents.
Through a written agreement, an individual or group assumes responsibility for the planting and maintenance of a garden bed location within one of the Oakland County Parks.
How do citizens benefit?
You or your organization will benefit through an increased sense of ownership in your community and through the satisfaction of volunteering. Also, a sign bearing the adopting group or individual’s name will be placed in the garden. Finally, volunteers receive certain special incentives, including:
• After 20 hours of volunteer service, they receive an annual vehicle permit
• When volunteers reach 35 hours, they receive 25 recreation points (equivalent to $25 to be spent at any of the Oakland County Parks)
• Volunteers reaching 60 hours receive 50 recreation points (equivalent to $50 to be spent at any of the Oakland County Parks)
• When volunteers reach 100 hours, they receive 100 recreation points (equivalent to $100 to be spent at any of the Oakland County Parks)
• Other perks: seasonal volunteer appreciation events (notification via email or regular mail).
• Educate the members of the community on the basics of horticulture.
• Beautify the Oakland County Parks and empower Oakland County residents.
• Encourage the adoption of existing garden areas on public property.
• Promote the use of plants that are appropriate for a particular site and
are not harmful to native ecology.
• Design a plan for a designated garden to be approved by the park staff or use the existing plan in place at the park.
• Install plantings accordingly.
• Maintain the garden:
- Dead-heading and mulching at appropriate times
- Remove litter and debris
- Report dead, damaged and diseased plants to the park staff
- Complete weekly maintenance forms
How to get started!
Complete the Adopt-a-Garden Application form and submit to Laurie Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 2800 Watkins Lake Road, Waterford, MI 48328. Questions? Contact Laurie at 248-858-4621.