Unless otherwise noted, please contact Sandy Dorey at 248-424-7077 for information about equipment to accommodate special needs at Oakland County Parks and Facilities.
Single rider are available at all of the Oakland County Parks golf courses. Cost is equivalent to a 2-seat golf cart. Contact the course where you plan to golf 48 hours prior to your tee time to arrange cart availability.
These carts provide individuals with spinal cord injuries, amputees and other physical impairments the ability to play golf. The cart features a swivel seat that moves to a standing position and also pivots left and right, for maximum activity. The large non-slip wide tires reduce the potential of damage to the fairways.
Hand-operated boats available at Groveland Oaks and Independence Oaks.
In 2008, the Michigan Recreation and Parks Association Foundation and the Access to Recreation Initiative, funded by W. K. Kellogg Foundation, provided matching funds for pontoon boats. The boat is especially suited to provide nature and fishing opportunities for individuals with disabilities.
Pool Transfer Chairs
Waterford Oaks and Red Oaks Waterparks are equipped with water transfer chairs to enable individuals to transfer from a wheelchair and easily access the water.
Independence Oaks currently has two provisional seat canes available for use. These special canes provide individuals with the opportunity to hike or walk at their leisure, while also allowing them to sit at any point to rest.
Available at all facilities.
Campsites and cabins with wheelchair accessible ramps.
- Hand Cycles
- Adult and child hand cycle - Part of the Go! Bike unit. This year, they are being taken out to adaptive recreation events and expo to increase awareness.
- All - Terrain Trails Chair
- An adult and child all-terrain wheelchair that can be used on the trails, beaches and during the winter it is adaptable for snow. This year, they are being taken out to the adaptive recreation events and expo to increase awareness.
- Outdoor Adventure
- Go Fish! - Automatic (battery operated) poles that reel the line in. Holders available to assist with holding the fishing pole.
Go Paddle! - Back supports available as well as tandem equipment for additional staffing support.
Go Bike! - Hand cycles available for individuals who are not able to pedal with their feet; but have upper body mobility.
Paradise Peninsula Playscape is a universally-accessible playscape for individuals of all ages and abilities
Paved trails at Addison Oaks, Groveland Oaks, Independence Oaks, Lyon Oaks, and Waterford Oaks.
- Program Support
- Staff/Volunteers are available to assist in including people with disabilities into our general recreation programs.